OFF THE PAGE: Defying The Headlines re: Nannygate!
OFF THE PAGE:
“Nannies,” artists, and community members unite to defy the headlines and expose the truth behind the Live-In Caregiver Program
Music + Theatre + Film + Spoken Word + Guest Speakers…
Sunday May 31 2009
130pm to 430pm
Kapisanan Philippine Centre 167 Augusta Ave
– Caregivers will be there to talk about their first hand experiences (names yet to be confirmed)
– A reading from the Sulong Collective’s “Future Folk” (the full show will be featured on Theatre Passe Muraille’s Fall 09 season!)
– Alexander The presents a single from his upcoming solo album, featuring a dance performance by the Dora nominated Catherine Hernandez
– Short Films by Carissa Reyes and Shasha Nakhai
– Santa Guerilla (TBC)
– Spoken word by Leonard Cervantes and Myk Miranda
– More TBC
Filipina Caregivers have been in the news a lot in recent months; Jocelyn Dulnuan was brutally murdered in her employer’s home, then Juana Tejada was almost forced to leave the country after she was discovered to have terminal cancer that would have been a drain on the health care system and now the Ruby Dhalla ‘Nannygate’ scandal.
I am sure many of you are wondering what’s going on.
What is the LCP?
Why are so many Filipinas involved?
What sort of money are they making that they are willing to leave home and family behind to live in their employer’s house and virtually be ‘on-call’ for 24 hours a day?
Get some answers and get some culture at the same time at this event. This isn’t a boring lecture with one talking head after another. This is education through art. Seriously, check out the talent in that line up!
This is a FREE event (though we will be taking donations!).
For this sick line-up of performers this will be a packed house so come early!!!
Remember: Sunday 31 May @ 130pm, see you then.