CLUTCH applications: Deadline extended to Fri 27 June 08
This Friday, 27 June, will be the final deadline for CLUTCH applications. It has been extended to allow for those that forgot the deadline.
Full application details below.
Clutch is a FREE 6-month arts-based program for your Filipina artists (females aged 17-24 years old) to start a dialogue with each other, get mentorship from professional artists within the community, have access to professional tools to hone their creativity, define their identity, explore their community, and tell their stories on their terms.
Participants will be given a free meal for the day of workshops, free use of equipment including still cameras, video cameras, computers (Mac platform) and will be provided with necessary art supplies.
Workshops will be held every Saturday from 1-5 pm starting July 5th until December 6th, with a possibility of a month-long trip to the Homeland (Philippines) in July 2009.
Clutch is an open-learning program that encourages the exploration of Filipino identity, culture, and history, intertwined with hands-on, technical and conceptual training in the following:
o Music / music production
o Film / video / broadcast media
o Communication design (print and web)
o Creative writing
o Business start-up / self-proprietorship / business of art practice
Weekly workshops are designed to explore the self in relation to family, peers, community, nation and finally, homeland. Workshops will explore topics including but not limited to identity, culture, oppression, race, and women’s roles in society. The goals of Clutch are to inspire critical thinking, promote self-confidence and empowerment, and provide the opportunity for participants to create their own space to learn and grow in their own way.
Clutch aims to link participants with practicing artists, artisans, arts and media professionals for internships, one-on-one mentorship, and possible collaboration.
Participants will be encouraged to develop a dynamic portfolio of work, which will be showcased in public exhibits in Toronto, with a possibility of showcasing their works in the Philippines. Participants will be guided to take the lead in coordinating and organizing exhibits and events related to the program.
Is this program for you? If you are a Filipino woman between the ages of 17 and 24 (if 17, must turn 18 by July, 2009) and you are interested in participating in Clutch, please fill out the application form below.
E-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject line: Clutch
by June 27, 2008.
Clutch Application Form
1) In three paragraphs, tell us about yourself.
2) What does it mean to you to be Filipino?
3) When was the last time, if ever, were you in the Philippines?
4) How would you define feminism? Are you a feminist?
5) Who is your role model and why?
6) In one or two paragraphs, tell us why you want to be part of Clutch and what you hope to achieve through this program.
7) This program requires commitment. Along with committing to 4 hours every Saturday (1pm-5pm) from July 6th to December 6th, you would be expected to put in some time to help coordinate and organize exhibits and events related to the program. Is this something you are willing to do?
8. If you were a Filipino dish, what would you be and why?
9) Who are your favourite artists?
10) What are the top 5 songs on your “most recently played” list on your mp3 player or iTunes or iPod?